Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

I've been told, I need to have a blog and so today I begin.  It's one more thing on my to do list that I really don't have time for especially since I have a few New Year's resolutions to contend with.  However, I will just have to make time.  

So I'm quite happy the holidays are over, not that I'm a scrooge, it's just this time of year is a little stressful on my son who tells me he's not afraid of Santa, but yet as we sit in the Red Robin restaurant last night he's nervously looking around for the Red Robin costume to come sauntering in so that he can take a nose dive under the table.    Santa he likes, it's just the idea of Santa coming into our house that he's not so fond of.  And so the nightmares start weeks before Santa arrives, and the stress begins.  Not to mention that taking your child off his schedule for two weeks, having him stay up late, eat unhealthy amounts of sugar and play most of the day, well that is just asking for trouble.  But we survived it, although a trip somewhere warm next year around Christmas is starting to look really appealing.  

This year I have decided that I am going to get fit.  I'm going to force myself to do Wii Fit on a regular basis.  I'm going to purchase boot camp soon and get working on that, and I'm going to lose some of the holiday pounds that have been on since the previous holiday.  I just want to be back to my pre-pregancy weight, is that so much to ask? But now that I'm older (having a child after 40 doesn't help), I find that the old metabolism isn't quite what it used to be, and yet the sweet tooth has never been in better shape.  Hmmm.  My biggest vice Coca Cola, if I could just swear that off (and I only have one a day) I'm sure the extra five pounds I'm trying to be rid of would fall right off....but can't we have at least one vice?  Do I have to give up my favorite soft drink?  Well it may end up coming to that.  Plus I hear they are thinking of putting a tax on it that may make me curb my habit.   

My other list of things to do is read more.  I love reading.  Reading takes you away.  At the encouragement of my neighbor and good friend Lorrie, I have started the Twilight book.  I'm not quite as into it as she is, but it is keeping my interest.  I had always vowed that since I have so little time to read I would not read anything that was slow, if it was slow, I wasn't going to pick it up.  My mom would say "well it starts out kinda slow but it ends up really good".  Nope, no thanks can't do it Mom, my reading time has to be spent cuddled up with a fast moving page turner.  Granted Twilight may be this for the teens out there but for me not so much.  Lorrie has already assured me that she has the next book waiting for me...but before I tackle that one, I think I'll start my favorite author's newest Myron Bolitar book (Harlen Coben).  Since I know it will be a page turner and I'll get a few chuckles along the way.  What could be better?

So instead of scouring etsy at lunch, I'm going to read.  Instead of knitting at lunch, I'm going to read. Instead of going out to eat so much, I'm going to pack my lunch and READ! I have a goal to read at least two books a month.  Because reading is enjoyable, and reading and having my son see my love for reading, can only be good for him as well.  Fortunately, he loves when I read to him.  I can't wait for him to learn, so he can devour a good book.  I only pray he takes after me on this book thing and not his father who only reads football stats!

So those are the two main ones.  I also plan on being a better cook.  Max is only five  so his appetite for my cooking leaves a lot to be desired.  But I have been making some really good meals lately and I received Martha Stewart's Cooking School cook book (thanks Mom!) which is awesome.  

Lots to do, not a lot of time.  Because I also need to spend time with my son, and spend time doing my art.  Which if you haven't been there, check out my web site.

www.michelewithasinglel.etsy.com

So what are your New Year's resolutions and should we make them a challenge so that we don't fall off the New Year's Resolution Wagon?


No comments:

Post a Comment